What to Expect: Maternity Wear
What to expect when you’re expecting? Great style! If there’s anything the same-titled movie showed us, it’s two things: expect the unexpected and maternity style isn’t what it used to be. The 21st century mama can expect lots of options now that major retailers have invested in bump-friendly clothing. My favorite maternity clothing is sleek and versatile: simple adjustments to the basics you loved pre-pregnancy. Invest in a myriad of cute dresses and tunics that you can wear with leggings, a comfortable go-to outfit for work or play. Cozy cardis and wraps work over skinnies for weekend or yoga pants for loungewear (stock up on long tanks and tees for layering). Don’t forget to buy well-fitted jackets. A cropped denim jacket or classic, flared trench add polish to any outfit. Finally, accessorize your maternity basics with trendy jewelry and fab footwear. Statement accessories add miles and miles of wear to simple tops and layering tees.
1. Gap Zigzag Kimono Sweater: Work appropriate, comfort approved. This warm, neutral sweater is styled with three-quarter kimono sleeves, a high banded waist and an intricate zig zag weave. Pair with a cropped pant and pump for the workplace, then style with a legging and boot for afterhours. This versatile knit works dressed up or down!
2. Old Navy Maternity Stripe Open Front Cardi: Guaranteed cozy. Wrap up in this long striped cardi. A shawl collar front and blocks of neutral stripes are a chic option over a yoga pant or legging for loungewear. Wear with a long tank, skinny jean and flat for running errands.
3. ASOS Maternity Exclusive Knitted Dress in Breton Stripe: Stripes go for work or play. A creamy white dress is made more graphic with a thin black stripe and then finished with a classic boatneck. Pair with a black legging…add a pump for occasions and a boot for weekend. This piece looks adorable layered under a cropped denim jacket, too!
4. ASOS Maternity Knitted Dress with Cowl Back: Sleek and sexy…you might not always feel that way when carrying your bump, but this dress makes for a hot mama. A sleek silhouette is set off by a deep cowl back and mini dress hemline. Add a statement cuff, a metallic clutch, and a high heel (like the gold cap toe pump above!).
5. Old Navy Maternity Crop Denim Jacket: A slim, fitted coat is a great way to balance out your baby bump. If you don’t have a jean jacket in your closet, try out Old Navy’s cropped version. It rides neatly above your bump, and goes with everything in your closet.
6. ASOS Maternity Fit and Flare Coat: Workwear, weekend, or party-going. This coat works for any occasion just because it’s so adorable. A classic blend of peacoat and trench, this wool coat will carry you through fall, winter, and early spring. Fitted and flared in all the right places, it features details like copper buttons, a fold-over collar, and a self tie waist.
7. Chinese Laundry Danger Zone Pump: When all else fails, invest in great shoes! These fabulous black pointy-toed pumps are ultra mod with their gold toe cap. Style with anything from skinnies to an LBD for an instant dose of chic. Fashion forward shoes are a great way to add trend to maternity basics.
8. Frye Dorado Lug Sole Riding Boots: When all else fails, invest in comfort! 🙂 In your third trimester, heels just aren’t an option. Go with cute flats for work and evening, and opt for a versatile riding boot for day and weekend. These Frye’s will be your go-to all nine months and well into your stroller-pushing days. Finished with a lug sole, almond toe, and buckle details.
9. Juliet & Company Mirage Necklace: Accessorize, accessorize, accessorize. My best tip for maternity dressing is to buy the basics (skinny jeans, sturdy leggings, long tanks, simple tees) and then use all the accessories in your arsenal. Add a statement necklace like this mixed chain piece to a simple tee and your style skyrockets. Also great over LBDs or under the collar of your white button up.