Parenthood: Family Portrait
Parenthood made its season four premiere last Tuesday with a show that brought the family together for an episode titled “Family Portrait.” For the premiere, the Braverman family revived its real-to-life story of a modern family’s joys and struggles. Its complex cast of characters provides endless opportunities to explore the intricacies of family life. These down-to-earth characters are both loveable and relate-able, and for these reasons, I’m excited that season four is now underway. Last week’s episode provided the inspiration for today’s post. I’ve picked a smattering of black and white pieces that mimic the outfits in the Braverman’s family portrait. From teen to college girl to working woman to mom to family matriarch, I’ve got just about every age of Braverman girl covered. Try out these pieces according your own age:
1. Joie Marlo Small Dot Silk Top: Family matriarch Camille layered her printed silk top under a shawl collar cardigan for her close up. This Joie top works if you, too, are a family matriarch, but its classic dot print and sleek tunic length are flattering at any age. Pair with a black skinny jean if you’re a student or try it tucked into a black pencil skirt if you’re a working mom.
2. Tibi Cinta Beading Dress: Inspired by Julia’s simple frock, this versatile sheath works from office to cocktails. For work, layer it over a crisp white blouse and pumps. For evening, try it bare-armed with black open-toed pumps or sandals. Metallic jewelry will complement the front beading perfectly.
3. Mes Demoiselles Isa Embroidered Top: Sarah wore an embroidered shirt and laid-back jeans for the family portrait. The gorgeous Isa top can be dressed up or down, easily transitioning from carpool pick-up to afterhours date night. This piece has boho flair with its intricate embroidery, relaxed peasant fit, and warm creamy color.
4. Mes Demoiselles Stacy Mini Tunic Dress: Kristina paired her embroidered tunic dress with leggings and flip flops. This cute look works for anything motherhood throws at you, but also works for dinner with the hubbie when you ditch the leggings and opt for heels. This classic piece is almost seasonless: wear beachbound over a swimsuit in summer, with boots for fall, and with leggings and flats come spring.
5. Boutique by Jaeger Cindy Jacquard Spot Dress: Haddie is college-bound this season. This independent girl gets it right with her dotted mini dress. Paired with a studious loafer and a simple cardi, it goes lecture hall to co-ed party. Too cute with its dropped waist and skirt pleating!
6. Vince Camuto Jewel Trim Blouse with Camisole: Amber capitalizes on the the vintage trend with a sweet Peter Pan collar. This neckline has been popping up everywhere for fall. Its throwback style works with a full skirt or slim pencil, your favorite skinnies or a sleek black legging. Sparkling jewel details at the collar and sleeves make it work day to night.
7. Steve Madden Chaufer Flat: A truly “age-less” shoe, the Braverman girls might be fighting over these. Haddie or Amber would wear them with a flirty skirt, but the Braverman moms would opt for slim cropped pants or a worn-in boyfriend jean. Any way you where them, we can “picture” this trendy flat on anyone!