Vintage Prep: Dead Poets Society
September always has me thinking back to school style, and especially so this year. Vintage prep pieces are everywhere. Worn together, yes, you’d look like an overgrown school girl, but worn one at a time, you look charming and pulled together. One of my favorite ways to wear prep is with deconstructed pieces. A structured blazer or crest-embroidered loafer provides the perfect contrast to a boyfriend jean. Another way to wear vintage prep is for weekend. A comfy varsity sweater looks adorable with skinnies and flats, and a preppy pleated skirt pairs well with an oversized knit for Sunday brunch. For the office, try a prep school stripe with a trouser or pencil skirt. And add prep to any look by accessorizing with a brown leather messenger bag, a round pair of tortoiseshell frames or a vintage-inspired gold and leather watch.
I was inspired by the iconic movie, Dead Poets Society. “Seize the day” with its school colors of navy, red, and gray:
1. Gap Ponte Academy Blazer: The blazer has been a must-have for seasons. Pairing back to jeans or trousers, skirts or dresses, it has become a wardrobe staple. This tailored Gap blazer is updated for fall with schoolboy-inspired style, contrasting seaming and a shrunken shape.
2. Gap Embroidered Loafers: Crest crazy. Anything embroidered with a crest has my stamp of approval. These classic navy loafers are embroidered with a contrasting red crest and red piping. Pair back to slouchy boyfriend jeans for the perfect contrast of preppy and playful.
3. Juicy Couture Pleated Prep Skirt: It may take you back…way back…but in a good way. Reminisce about your own school uniform, but revel in the fact that you get to choose your own hem length. This flirty mini has the leg-baring length you were always trying to get away with in high school. Pair its mini shape back to an slouchy oversized sweater, tights and your flat Fryes for a flirty weekend outfit.
4. Fossil Vintage Re-Issue Messenger: What is old is new again. Fossil created their throwback messenger with very convincing details: beautiful russet-colored leather, golden brass hardware, and a studious shape. Wear crossbody for work or play, your classes or your kid’s.
5. Super Sunglasses Panama Glasses: Add to anything. The Panama glasses have vintage charm, no matter what you pair them with. Round frames, a wire bridge, and tortoiseshell frames have a borrowed-from-the-boys playfulness I just adore. Their warm color picks up deep plum, jewel-tone emerald, studious navy, or any of autumn’s warm colors.
6. Free People Ivy Varsity Sweater: Borrowed from your highschool sweetheart. This varsity sweater has the warm, cozy feel of your boyfriend’s slouchy knits. Double stripes on one sleeve give it school days charm, but a slim body gives you a much better silhouette than anything your man has in his closet. Pair with skinnies or add it over one of this season’s skirts.
7. Nixon The Kensington Leather Watch: Your grandfather’s watch? If it’s not yours, pick up Nixon’s Kensington Watch. Its leather strap and round gold face make it a very convincing replica of an authentic piece. Pair with workplace wear or toss it on with statement bangles for play.
8. Current/Elliott The Prep School Shirt: Summer’s nautical horizontal stripes give way to the school year’s vertical stripes. Pair this studious stripe with navy or denim, a pencil skirt or tailored trouser for a charming twist on schoolboy-inspired style.