Style Guide: Ballet Flats for Fall
I don’t know how I narrowed it down, but when it came down to crunch time, I simply had to choose.
I went with my gut, and I think this style guide shaped up quite nicely. How could it not? With all the colors, patterns, prints, leathers, and suedes to choose from, the rainbow of choices was endless, but altogether beautiful.
In the feast of flats, for Fall 2013 it came down to the details. A pointed toe? An ankle strap? A metallic plate? A smattering of studs? Even mouse ears? It’s the details that stole the show for me, so it’s the details that I’m recommending for you. When shopping, let those details be your guide.
Enjoy this bounteous buffet of beauty! (And even more flats here…)
1. Marc by Marc Jacobs Mouse Ballet Flat: Copious amounts of cuteness (and a dainty dash of surprise!). I picture these on my inspiration model above with end-of-summer cutoffs, a simple black tee, and a chunky gold necklace. I love the cheeky mix of cuteness and edge.
2. McQ – Alexander McQueen Metallic Studded Ballet Flats: Speaking of the edge, these antique silver flats are toughed up with the addition of silver studs on the heel. Metallics are the newest of neutrals, so pair these with just about anything in your closet…but I envision them with your favorite denim.
3. Rag & Bone Windsor Flats: I can’t wait to pull out my nubuck booties, complete with wedge heels…but while I wait for the temps to dip and for them to become seasonally appropriate, I’m getting my fix with these nubuck flats. Substitute them for your favorite worn-in moccasins for a more polished spin.
4. Yosi Samra Elastic Top Line Ballet Flats: Snakeskin? Swoon. When work is over, the heels come off. I’m sure you can agree. For those days when you’re tootsies need some post-work lovin’, pull these out of your bag and wear them home.
5. Loeffler Randall Erika Pointed Flats: Frontrunner. Whether you’re Audrey Hepburn or Kate Moss, polished preppy or edgy model, these Loeffler Randall pointed flats work. I’m head over heels for their modern, yet timeless elegance. You will wear this style for years to come, I promise.
6. 3.1 Phillip Lim Dove Ballet Flats: Another pointed toe, another stunning creation. Those go-to pointy toe pumps? These pointy toe flats are your afterhours equivalent. They have the same wear-with-all power, the same graceful polish. In pebbled leather and complemented with black, these will be my go-to travel shoes with a slim black pant and cashmere sweater.
7. Diane von Furstenberg Botswana Haircalf Flats: Mixed media. DVF pulled out all the stops when designing her Botswana flats. Combining leopard-print haircalf, pebbled leather, and metallic piping, the result is a wearable work of art. (See how Olivia Palermo wore her leopard flats here!).
8. Charlotte Olympia Darcy Quilted Flat with Pearls: Polka dots? No…they are actually pearls! This sweet mix of black satin is highlighted with creamy white pearls and a touch of shine: a metallic gold heel plate. Mix with floral pieces to tap into the floral + polka dots craze.
9. Chloe Studded Ballerina Flat: More studs, more stitching, more glorious detailing. These dove gray leather flats have incredible wearing power with their neutral color scheme and pops of details. Wear them with a weekend look similar to Jessica Alba.