Reel Style: Animal Practice
Life’s a zoo, but style doesn’t have to be. Although Dorothy Crane (played by JoAnna Garcia Swisher) is whipping her ex-boyfriend’s veterinarian hospital into shape, she does so with polished style. The animals may seem like they are running the place, but smart and pulled together Dorothy is about to change things. Set against stunning auburn hair, JoAnna’s character has a wardrobe that works for any 2012 working woman. A sensible pair of pumps, a lean black trouser, and a crisp classic trench are essentials to your office look. Just add a colorful top and you’re out the door. A fun printed dress shakes things up a bit and offers equal ease of wear….add shoes and accessories for a no-brainer look. Just remember that accessories go a long way to making basics seem fresh and trendy. Invest in a statement bangle, a row of bright or printed tops, and an on-trend handbag to breathe personality into an otherwise throw-on-and-go wardrobe.
May these Animal Practice-inspired pieces allow you to bring peace to your own little corner of chaos!
1. A.L.C. Kenyetta Dress: Pop goes the print! Peacock blue dots are set dreamily against a warm cocoa-colored background. Finished with a black slitted crewneck and an exposed zipper, this dress pairs well with black pumps for office or chocolate brown boots for weekend. Layer this sleeveless frock under a blazer when the temps dip. A cinched waist defines your silhouette. Dorothy wore this feminine frock with delicate jewelry to up the girl-girly factor.
2. Stuart Weitzman Platswoon Kidskin Leather Pump: Beautiful basic. Yes, we all love to buy sky high stilettos and sexy sandals, but we’d be stumped morning after morning without our basic black pumps. End a wide-legged trouser, a clean dark skinny jean or a pencil skirt with these wear-with-all wonders.
3. Club Monaco Emma Trench: Trendy trench. The trench coat is perhaps the most basic of all woman’s outerwear…some version or another has been in style for decades. This crisp, clean-lined coat has all the must-haves: a tabbed neck closure, grommet-embellished cuffs, leather belt buckle, self-tie waist, back vent, and double breasted cut. Wear over any work look, for fall and spring alike.
4. Etro Black Straight Leg Pants: For work? Style with a button up or cashmere v-neck. For play? Pair with a glitzy top. Office party? A demure blouse and a strappy sandal will do the trick. A well-tailored trouser will take you any place you need to go. These Etro pants are styled with a straight leg, clean pockets and belt loops. Wear them with a bright top and solid belt to get Dorothy’s business-meets-trend look.
5. Tory Burch Kipp Tote: A Fall must-have, the Kipp Tote combines sturdy raw canvas with chic leather trim and a perforated Tory logo. The modus operandi of Dorothy Crane’s style is to keep things clean and simple—this preppy pebbled leather tote doesn’t quickly fade out of style.