Rachel Bilson, Emily Blunt, Debra Messing, Molly Sims…to name just a few. Davy Newkirk’s list of celebrity clients is impressive, to say the least. He’s styled stars for everything from photo shoots to the red carpet, including the 2012 Golden Globes. Last Sunday night, Newkirk was the genius behind Jessica Biel’s romantic, boho waves (which he created with the help of Alterna Professional Haircare). As a special treat, Davy agreed to share both his inspiration and process with us today!
“We wanted Jessica’s hair to compliment the ‘bohemian luxury’ feel of her dress. I loved the idea of natural cascading waves against the backdrop of the dress’s backless silhouette. The overall look evokes a relaxed vibe while still remaining polished and sophisticated.”
“Jessica has a great head of hair; the texture is fine, but she has a ton of it! I added extra volume and lift at the roots while maintaining the feather light feel.“
1. Apply Alterna Bamboo Volume Weightless Whipped Mousse all over damp hair and Alterna Bamboo Volume Uplifting Root Blast to the roots. Blow dry using a large round brush; this smoothes the cuticle to ensure a polished result.
2. When hair is 95% dry give strands texture and wave with Alterna Bamboo Style Boho Waves Tousled Texture Mist and then finish with a rough dry using your fingers.
“While creating Jessica’s waves my goal was to keep the look youthful and modern.”
3. Divide hair into 1” sections and create waves using a 1¼” curling iron. Alternate between wrapping and clamping sections to maintain organic movement to the look.
4. Apply Alterna Bamboo Style Moldable Texture Paste to hands and using your fingers comb through the curls, tousling the strands as you go.
5. Mist hair with Alterna Bamboo Smooth Anti-Humidity Hair Spray, the flexible hold formula will set the style, add healthy shine and lock out frizz.
6. Smooth pieces around the face with Alterna Bamboo Style Moldable Texture Paste