When I think autumnal style I immediately think of East Coast Prep. Fall blazes in all of its glory best on the right side of our country with its ivy league roots, solid brick homes, and hills filled with red-leafed maples. Rooted in tradition, the East Coast is as old as it gets in these United States, and those roots bring me to our earliest fabrics of choice: houndstooth and plaid, wool and chunky fisherman’s knits, corduroy and tweed…all with a touch of cognac leather and brass. Just speaking these classic pieces sends a cozy chill up my spine, and gets me thinking tights and boots, sweaters and a fabulous coat. Although this East Coast style is oh-so-Ivy League, you can easily nab these preppy pieces on a regular gal’s budget.
1. DONDUP Corduroy Blazer: With Taylor Swift as my inspiration, I broke down East Coast Prep into several staple pieces: tights and boots (or booties), a warm color palette, and cozy fabrics like corduroy, wool, and tweed. This Corduroy Blazer hits all of those marks with its camel color, corduroy construction and wearability with other fall fabrics.
2. rag & bone Tatiana Tweed Shorts: Also inspired by the runway, my East Coast look includes a pair of tweed shorts. Paired with a chunky knit sweater, tights and booties, you’ll knock this look out of the park…or the Ivy League.
3. UGG Australia ‘Belcloud’ Boot: The duck boot was made for autumn hunting season and early spring rains, but its legendary sturdiness has become fodder for modern style. The elegant finishes of this boot (lined with shearling, composed of sleek waterproof leather, detailed with laces) make it runway-worthy.
5. Lucky Brand Laverne Boot: Another stylish revolution of the duck boot, this version from Lucky has more of a bootie vibe than a full-on boot. Pair this black style with black tights for a long, leggy finish.
6. J. Crew Duffy Wool Duffle Coat: Taylor Swift’s look above not only inspired my search for warm-colored staples, it specifically had me looking for a camel-colored coat in a slighty oversized shape. There’s something so inviting about taking a prim, tailored style and making it more relaxed for the season.
7. Barbour Tartan Tarras Bag: Fall wouldn’t be the same without my favorite plaid pieces, whether that be a wide scarf knotted around my neck, my lived-in plaid button-up, or my new go-to: a tartan plaid bag. This schoolboy style is so prep in plaid and leather.
8. Topshop Knitted Tie Back Cable Top: The perfect cream-colored sweater rounds out my must-have list. A classic that you’ll come back to each fall, look for a classic crew neck shape in a chunky knit and creamy-white color. Pair with leather leggings for edgier affairs or a plaid short for work wear.