5 Fashion Fundamentals
At this time of year, the shopping, planning and options seem to be endless. We may start with good intentions, but quickly get overwhelmed with the length of our to-to list. At times like these, I believe it’s important (for sanity’s sake) to streamline your style. Shopbop has gathered a list of five essentials for the season, and I couldn’t agree with the list more. Number one is a little black dress, wearable from work to office party. Number two is a statement coat, it’s often your first impression (and when running errands your only impression) so pick one with details you love. Number three is the slouchy sweater, the perfect match for skinny jeans. Number four is the boyfriend jean, as versatile as ever. And number five is a smart blazer, the easiest route to a pulled together look.
1. Elizabeth and James Lisette Knit Dress: Sleek NYC socialite meets elegant NYC ballerina. This form-fitting LBD ends in a flirty mesh skirt overlay. Holiday dressing is a snap: just add metallic accessories and a killer heel.
2. Helmut Lang Piped Wool Dress: It’s all in the details. Suede panels and patent leather piping make this LBD pop at a party. Office party or Christmas dinner, this Helmut Lang is a no-fail option for many an occasion.
3. Lot78 Crombie Coat: Invest in a statement. During the winter months, our coat is the first and sometimes only impression that we make. Choose a coat that says something about yourself, with fine tailoring and standout style. This gray Crombie Coat says pulled together, classic, and a little preppy.
4. Vince Drape Hooded Coat: Two tone trend. This subtly toned coat captures the oversized coat and colorblock trend. Uber cozy with its hood and draped front, this piece speaks elegant comfort and effortless style.
5. Splendid Twisted Metallic Sweater: Sparkle! A little bit of metallic shine brings life and vibrancy to a dull winter’s day, and an extra shot of joy to a holiday gathering. This slouchy, open knit version is simple when styled with a skinny jean.
6. HELMUT Soft Wool Asymmetrical Top: Branch out. Yes, your go-to cable knit is cute and your standard v-neck is no-fail, but branch out with a stylized sweater. This asymmetrical top takes the cake with its hi-lo hem and deep cranberry color.
7. 360 SWEATER Malbe Cashmere Sweater: The classic cable knit gets made over in luxurious cashmere. Dropped shoulder seams, a loose knit and a slouchy form guarantee that this piece is a gift that any girlfriend would love to find under her tree.
8. R13 Relaxed Skinny Jeans: The boyfriend jean has become a staple, especially when you need a break from the skinny. Relaxed and edgy, this R13 is great with a chunky creme-colored knit and nubuck bootie.
9. 7 For All Mankind Josefina Boyfriend Jeans: Pair your distressed boyfriend jeans with a pump and preppy blazer to balance the all-over distressing of these 7FAM jeans. Roll the bottoms to channel your inner Rachel Bilson.
10. J Brand Aidan Slouchy Boy Jeans: The dark, rich rinse of these J Brand jeans is begging for a black and creme striped top and a ballet flat. An easy throw-on-and-go, slouchy denim was created for Saturday and Sunday. Weekend wear never looked so cute!
11. BB Dakota Rohan Blazer: A hybrid of draped cardigan and smart blazer, the BB Dakota Rohan Blazer has it all. This relaxed coat works well for casual Friday with your favorite printed blouse and skinny cord.
12. Theory Viviette Elite Blazer: Strike a pose. This cropped blazer is a striking addition to any outfit with its rich navy color and tailored lines. A refreshing departure from the classic navy blazer.
13. Preen Derby Jacket: A 9 to ? piece. This blazer works from morning to midnight with its mix of classic black blazer and trendy white color blocks. Wear with a black trouser for a tidy office look, and then pair it with leather leggings for evening.