To kick off the new season I’ve pulled the basics…pieces that will kick your style into high gear and high style. Stepping back from the glitz of the wedding season, these pretty pieces are refreshingly simple with clean lines, feminine cuts, and easy versatility. High on my list is a two-toned menswear-inspired watch, this year’s IT accessory, and a navy trench, a coat that will carry you into spring. And not far behind my favorites are a classic satchel in warm brown leather and a layer-able gingham shirt. Read on for more of 2013’s fashion fundamentals:
1. Vince Trench Coat: If the sneaker is your weekend warrior, your navy trench is your workweek warrior. If you don’t have a trench, make it your New Year’s resolution to find the perfect one. This must-have coat will work for years to come if you find one in a classic color (navy, camel) and a structured, well-tailored shape. This Vince version is perfect and transitions right into spring.
2. YARNZ Watercolor Birds Cashmere Scarf: Soft pastels, playful prints, blurry watercolors, graphic shapes…all of these colorways are big in the accessories department. Find your favorite…mine is this watercolor cashmere…and wear your scarf as your signature.
3. Juicy Couture New Jocelyn Striped Sweater: Colorblocks and stripes, I love them all. This boxy sweater is a fashion fundamental for me because of its wide camel and creme stripes. Pair with skinnies or crops, flats or pumps for a lunch date. It’s oversized shape and dropped shoulder seams give this striped sweater a fresh twist of trend.
4. Tibi Ponte Shift Dress: 2013 promises feminine flair, girly style, and classic elegance…so the dress is a must-have building block of any girl’s wardrobe. This straight, well-tailored shift dress wears well for many an occasion with a simple change of footwear: flats for day, pumps for work, stilettos for cocktails.
5. TEXTILE Elizabeth and James Davis Ankle Skinny with Zippers: Skinnies still rule the fashion world, so continue to invest in the cigarette leg, structured skinny or stretch-infused jegging. My must-have denim trend is ankle zippers…a touch of hardware makes this stand-by piece edgy again.
6. Wildfox 1983 Destroyed Top: Loungewear is necessity. Wear it for working out, post-gym errands, or afterhours…Wildfox tops, tees, and sweatshirts are an IT girl’s best friend. Skinnies or sweats, cut-offs or yoga pants, this destroyed top wears with them all!
7. Michael Kors Oversized Two Tone Runway Watch: My go-to accessory, the oversized watch is a throw-on-and-go accessory for any outfit, be it workday or weekend. This Michael Kors piece has a fresh two-toned composition, so it truly goes with everything in your wardrobe whether you choose to accessorize with silver, gold or rosegold.
8. C&C California Roll Sleeve Shirt: Fresh-faced with throwback appeal, gingham print is big for the guys and the girls this year. Navy, red or emerald green, pick your color and flaunt the trend layered under a sweater or over a playful skirt.
9. Marc by Marc Jacobs The Ziplocker Lo Satchel: Vintage schoolgirl lines, updated details. This Marc Jacobs satchel has all the makings of a classic. Its sleek lines work for the office, and its shoulder strap and two-toned leather work for play. It’s a satchel that embodies the trend!
10. Superga Cotu Classic Sneakers: On the run. The classic sneaker, be it Keds or Converse or these Superga sneaks, work as your weekend warriors. Layer with preppy pieces like the gingham shirt or a boxy stripe sweater and skinnies for your weekend errands and coffee runs.