Celebrity Style Inspiration: Olivia Palermo
You’ve got all the inspiration we need for winter chic right here. Celebrity fashionista Olivia Palermo gives a lesson in upcoming autumn style with this look. Tailored and cropped pants are hot, and even more so in a preppy plaid check. Mix in an asymmetrical tee for a little edge, then trim it up again with a classic brown leather belt. For fun, finish the outfit with texture like a knubby, double-breasted knit (if it’s trimmed in fur, all the better!) and a pair of calf hair leopard pumps. I love how Olivia layered a tailored silhouette with trendy details like fur trim, an asymmetrical tee, and a few glam leopard spots. By keeping every piece in the same neutral color family, this outfit works together or mixed up in the rest of your fall wardrobe.
1. Madewell Perfect Leather Belt: Perfection. I don’t use that word lightly, but I believe that this belt is worth the title. Available in brown or black, I suggest picking up both colors to top any pant or anchor any top. Pebbled leather finish with an antiqued brass buckle. At one and a half inches wide, this belt works in or out of loops (over a tee or tunic, like Olivia wore hers).
2. CLOSED Double Breasted Knitted Cardigan: There’s something classically pulled together about a double breasted cut. Whether it’s on a navy blue peacoat or a knitted cardigan, I love this cut layered over just about anything. Bonus: this cozy cardi has the look of a chunky knit without the bulk. Wide cuffs and trim give the look, but a fine knit and fitted body keep it slim. Layer over a cropped pant for the workweek, pair back to a slouchy boyfriend for the weekend.
3. MICHAEL KORS Caramel and Blackberry Checked Pants: Don’t fear the print. This classic caramel check pairs back to navy, deep plum, red, black, and any creamy neutral. Layer with slim knits and pumps for a chic, preppy work look. A borrowed from the boys piece that wears easily into any girl’s closet with a cropped leg, flat front and back welt pockets.
4. Rag & Bone Alexis Top: Trendy tee. The plain white tee gets an overhaul this fall. Starting with an asymmetrical hem, it’s finished with a raw neckline and front and back seaming. Added to slim, classic pieces, a trendy tee puts a fresh spin on a preppy look.
5. J Crew Etta Pump: Spunky spots. Ever glam, leopard spots come back season after season…and we’re so glad they do! A prim pump is made over with a calf hair finish and a solid square heel. Pair with your pencil skirts, let them peek out from black trousers or parade them with cropped dark washed denim. Leopard prints are so classic, they have become a neutral to reach for in any occasion.