Not only will you the smartest in class, but you’ll look the part, too. Fresh denim? Check. Super cool kicks? Got ’em. Cute dresses and fun accessories? All accounted for! Once you’ve got your fall wardrobe essentials down, it’s time to turn your attention to the pièce de résistance of back-to-school gear—a trusty yet trendy carryall. Since the latest totes, satchels, and backpacks double as outfit-making accessories, it’s easy to forget they actually serve an important function—stashing your books, pens, and other essential gear in style. We’ve rounded up the very best ones that are sure to be a hit on campus and beyond—check out the bags these savvy fashionistas are carrying this semester!
1. CC SKYE The Onie Messenger Bag: Olivia Palermo helped make this bag an instant hit and must have for every Fashionista! Another day at the office? It sure won’t feel like it when you’re toting this chic, snake-embossed messenger bag on your arm.
2. CLARE VIVIER Messenger Bag: Katie Holmes carries this bag with her everywhere! Work or play, the CV Messenger is both functional and beautiful. Made with either durable Nubuck leather or our beautifully textured Pelli Leather, this bag is made with natural aniline dye to make for soft focus charm and deep saturated color.
3. Marc by Marc Jacobs Natural Selection Mini Messenger Bag: All the style, without the weight. Compact and captivating, the Marc by Marc Jacobs Natural Selection Mini Messenger allows for max style in a small silhouette! Give new meaning to survival of the fittest with this celebrity style bag.
4. 3.1 Phillip Lim Pashli Messenger Bag: 3.1 Phillip Lim updates the messenger bag in textural shark-effect leather punctuated with an understated flash of gold hardware. This sleek and compact piece is the perfect complement to a day-to-night shift dress – simply add platforms and carry as a clutch after hours.
5. Madewell Coated Base Utility Tote: I love a classic neutral carryall that goes with everything! This natural canvas tote has a casual, yet polished look with a coated base and leather handles. A bag shouldn’t take away from your outfit but add to it!
6. Joie Louisa Woven Tote: One thing to love about fall is that you can easily get away with having colorful and unusual things. This tote bag is far from unusual, but you don’t usually see people carry these around. Made of contrasting colored plastic material, then weaved to create an appeal that’s just too pleasant for the city, the market or a picnic, this Joe Louisa Woven Tote bag is tops in fashion and quite a functional piece to have.
7. See by Chloe Leather School Bag: The schoolbag takes a chic turn with the fabulous designed See by Chloé Apolline Schoolbag satchel. The satchel is chic and modern made of smooth leather with a convenient flap. Carry this great handbag with either the single top leather handle, or on the shoulder with the long leather strap. The satchel is large in size and can easily fit your basics plus a tablet, umbrella, scarf and more.
8. Halston Heritage Fold Over Tote: Chic daytime ease crafted in luxurious, understated elegance lands this convertible tote high on my covet list. Carry it by the handles as an understated tote, or fold over the top and tuck it under your arm for a city-chic cocktail bag.
9. Liebeskind Margo Shoulder Bag: Supple, softly pebbled leather composes a spacious, street-chic handbag with a slouchy silhouette. Oversized flap pockets keep essentials close at hand, while a detachable top handle and optional crossbody strap provide styling versatility.
10. Tory Burch Amanda Mini Backpack: Pebbled-leather construction upgrades the otherwise casual contours of a chic little backpack accented with a signature Tory Burch medallion. Kick around town or even head to the office with this season-spanning style.