Violet Barnes (Emily Blunt) may have had a rocky road to the altar, but her style never faltered. During her “Five Year Engagement,” she and Tom Soloman (Jason Segel) share some definite up and downs, but their real life conundrums make for great laughs. Emily Blunt shines as usual, providing us with chuckles and style inspiration. Down to earth, yet trendy, her movie looks are fodder for the coming fall season. I picked three of my favorite outfits: one will work for weekend, one for the workweek, and the last for cocktails or date night.
1. Frye Jane Knee High Boots: Psychology student or girl on the go, a great pair of boots will take you anywhere you want. An iconic label like Frye will never let you down. These sleek black boots have raised seaming and a contrasting stacked heel. Working with black or brown, we can’t wait for the temps to dip so that we can wear these everywhere!
2. Mother The Looker Skinny Jeans: Working for the weekend. Mother’s The Looker skinnies have a slightly distressing finish for weekend excursions and lounging, but their second skin fit can take them out for drinks. Violet paired them with knee high boots and a preppy striped top for her movie scene.
3. T by Alexander Wang Striped French Terry Sweatshirt: Cozy, comfy, but all together chic, this super soft striped top is made of French terry. Slightly cropped, it works as a layer over a longer striped top like Blunt wore hers. Contrasting hems and cuffs, as well as a curved side hem give a little extra structure to this loungewear piece.
4. Fossil Vintage Revival Small Flap: This bag was a constant throughout the movie and I love Fossil’s look for less version. Vintage charm. This small flap bag revives a classic to perfection. Wear it crossbody or slung over your shoulder, you’ll want to showcase this structured bag. Made of caramel-colored leather, it works back to any fall hue. If you are looking for Violet’s actual crossbody bag throughout the movie, it is the J.w. Hulme Mini Legacy Bag.
5. Michael by Michael Kors Eleni Platform: Shake it up. These platform sandals work late summer and early fall with their neutral color. The skin-tone color lengthens your legs, while their ankle strap and ankle cutouts provide an extra shot of sexiness. Pair back to skirts or dresses to fully embrace their leg lengthening power.
6. Patterson J Kincaid Polly Flirty Leather Skirt: Blunt’s flirty beige mini skirt is more spring than fall, so I stole the shape and chose a more seasonally appropriate fabric. This cognac-colored mini showcases your curves with its high waistline. Pair back to slim sweaters and tights to make this flirty skirt work for day or pick a sexier fabric and bare legs for evening.
7. Elizabeth and James Rex Blazer: Work appropriate. Emily Blunt’s character could wear this blazer for a family get together, one of her pyschology classes or for her first day on the job. This Elizabeth and James blazer is tailored with welt pockets, four-button cuffs and a sleek one button closure. I adore the on trend burgundy color for autumn!
8. Joie Elvia Back Button Top: Balance a studious blazer with a feminine top. This neutral blouse softens any look with its sheer lace fabrication. Delicate half sleeves, scalloped hems, and a buttoned-up back look great layered under a blazer, but is also fabulous all on its own.