The MET Ball wowed on Monday night, with a star-studded red carpet full of celebrities and the fashion world’s brightest stars. In attendance were Beyonce in Givenchy, Anne Hathaway in vintage Valentino, Anna Wintour in Chanel, and Sarah Jessica Parker in Giles Deacon. This year’s theme was Punk: From Chaos to Couture, and the fashionistas dressed accordingly. Big color trends were black, plaid and PATTERNS galore, with punk details like skulls, studs, leather, and cutouts. In homage to fashion’s biggest night, I’ve pulled my favorite MET-inspired pieces. Punk up your wardrobe with these throwback looks:
1. BURBERRY LONDON Alizari Crimson Checked Mountbrook Trench Coat: Punk means plaid. Turn the classic Burberry trench on its head with a crimson and black plaid. Wear it chic with black and camel or punk mixed with other patterns and leather leggings.
2. SEE BY CHLOÉ White-Multi Plaid Jeans: Wearable and wow-able, these white plaid pants are hot for spring into summer. Dress them for work with a demure jacket or punk them up for a night out with skulls and spikes jewelry.
3. PETER PILOTTO Black-Multi Embellished Modern Mesh Dress: Anna Wintour rocked her vintage Chanel. This Peter Pilotto brought Wintour to mind with its floral patterning and white trim. Pair this dress with any little black shoe for a hot night in NYC…or your own city.
4. SERGIO ROSSI Sandals with Metal Mesh Detail: Black and white were big color favorites on the carpet, as well as mesh and cutouts. These shoes embody Monday’s choices with their vivid black on white stripes and sexy gold mesh accents.
5. Alexander McQueen Britannia Skull-Clasp Clutch Bag: The Union Jack topped with a skull? You can’t get more punk than that! Pull out this tidy box clutch to punk up your afterhours look.
6. Christian Louboutin Anita 85 Buckled Tartan Pumps: Madonna rocked a plaid, studded jacket, while Sarah Jessica Parker opted for thigh high plaid boots. Both were on par for the MET’s punk theme. Add your own twist with these tartan pumps, perfect for a black mini dress and tights come fall.
7. Alexander McQueen Gold-tone Swarovski Crystal Skull Ring: Styled with skulls. Alexander McQueen kicks this gold skull up a notch with red Swarovski crystals. Pair with pretty pieces for a study in contrast.
8. Chaser ‘Bowie Stars’ David Bowie Racer Tank: I can’t talk about punk without a nod to the punk musicians. Play with this tank all summer long, whether you dress it up with a patterned legging or throw it on with your bikini and cutoffs.