Following on the heels of its predecessor, chambray is trending just as big as the denim shirt. This light weave fabric isn’t denim, but it has the same look (white threads that are woven across blue threads). The reason chambray pieces are trending now is that it gives the look of the oh-so-fabulous denim pieces, but in a much lighter and more breathable fabric. My go-to chambray piece is going to be the button-up with my printed jeans, colored shorts, and casual leggings. But I’m also looking to work in some more of this fabric into my everyday wardrobe…perhaps with a dress, jacket, short or shoe in chambray. Care to join me?
1. Splendid Chambray Ditzy Dress: As worn by Emily VanCamp. She may be changing her color of choice from red (for Revenge) to blue (for summertime bliss). I adore the polka dots on this throw-on-and-go shirt dress. Plus, I love that Emily wore it with a pair of year-round booties, another huge trend!
2. 3.1 Phillip Lim Cut-Up Chambray Dress: Don’t wait until casual Friday to break out the denim blues! Mod for the workplace, this uber chic shift dress is composed of colorblocked chambray, cut to mimic denim. Pair with a sophisticated black shoe to balance the casual nature of this piece.
3. Charles Philip Sheila Chambray Flats: Beach-bumming or playing in the Hamptons, these preppy chambray flats take winter’s smoking shoe trend and make it summertime appropriate. I’d wear them with a relaxed boyfriend khaki and my favorite fitted tees.
4. ANNA SUI Lace Eyelet Shorts: Dark blue chambray looks so much like denim, you might do a double take. These shorts are outfitted with black lace eyelet, a much more polished look than a plain pair of denim shorts. Keep the look simple with a black sandal and a tucked in top or button down…or wear to work with a studious black blazer.
5. L’AGENCE Chambray Square Neck Dress: Another wear-to-work number, this classic chambray dress works for all ages. The light blue tone complements a summer tan, and you can take it from flats to heeled sandals, wedges to pumps depending on the occasion.
6. Victoria Beckham Denim Oversized Cotton Top in Chambray: Victoria Beckham styled her chambray in a modern, boxy cut. I love a top like this balanced with a trim cropped pant or summer mini skirt. Polished, yet edgy.
7. PAUL & JOE Barnie Drawstring Coat: Go-to topper. Layer this fun chambray coat like you would last year’s army jackets. I’m all about the mix of lightweight chambray and the relaxed fit of this drawstring coat. Plenty of zippers, strings, and pockets give it a borrowed from the boys charm.